Monday, November 13, 2006

Here It Is! The Very Exciting News!

Well folks. I finally have something exciting to post about.

Let me rephrase that.

I am finally going to take some time to write a post about something exciting.

You see, it's not that some exciting and/or cool things have not been happening. It's just that I don't sit my butt down and write. Lately, I have gotten into the habit of laying on the couch to watch a movie (rented, mind you, since we have no tv) before bed. I'm not really crazy about watching movies. More often than not I'm disappointed with the use of my time when it's all over. The only reason I really do it is that my hubby likes to unwinde by watching a movie and sometimes it's the only time we get to spend together in a day.

Anyway...


So, if the one or two readers of this blog who are not my sister or couzint (see side bar for links) have checked their respective blogs out, you would be up to date on the news of all the new babies in the family. Big news in the family indeed. Three new bouncing baby boys. They also have blogs for their babies specifically so one can go check out pictures of cuteness and cuddliness. Chubby little cheeks, tweakable little noses...sigh.

Add to that all the hoopla on celebrity adoptions. Why everywhere you turn it's Angelina this or Madonna that. Baby, baby, baby.

It's almost enough to make a peson who is a mere less-than-two years away from Emptynestdom do something drastic.



Ok, it is enough.

Guess what?




We've adopted a baby.




We've ADOPTED A BABY!!!!!!!!!



What? Am I crazy?


Yes. But crazy like a fox.


See, after reading about the family babies I was all "Awwwwww they're so pinchable" and stuff and thinking how my own two are almost grown and they're such cool kids and all and soon they'll be GONE and WHATAMIGOINGTODO!!!!.

And then.

Then I got the email.

It started off innocently enough. I sent out an email to my cousins (the ones with TWIN newborn boys) to see how everyone is doing and how are the babies and all. The dad of said twins sent an email back that...let me see here. How can I put this? I don't know if the fact that I watched Behind Enemy Lines 2 the night before had anything to do with how I interpreted the email but it seemed a bit...uh...disjointed. Almost desperate.

So then I was all like "Babies. Wow. No way."



But stil...

That maternal urge kept vexing me.



So, I went ahead and did it.

I mean "We". Since it's now the politically correct thing to say. (ie, "We are pregnant", "We are giving birth", "We have gas pains, are retaining water, have hemorrhoids, have back pain and want to kill the father". Oh, that last one isn't a shared part of the process? Oopsy.)


Anyway...


So we went on line and picked out a baby and mailed out our check. About three weeks later a rather interesting man dropped him off and it's been pure parental bliss ever since.


What?


What do mean "No way".


That is too how it happened. No, really. It was that easy.


Ok, well maybe there was a little bit more involved what with picking out where he would stay and all that but, really, it wasn't as hard as Madonna makes out to be.

She's so dramatic about everything.


So now, being the new parent and all, I am going to post a crap load of photos.

Are you ready?


Will you be able to even stand all the cuteness you're about to behold?


Get ready...





Here he is....



Intoducing....



Lil' Dozer

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


OH. MY. GOD. He's so cute!

Isn't he? Isn't he?



Here's his little nose.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Look at it! Can you stand the freaking cuteness that it is?!!!


Here's another one.

His little ear.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Gah! Make it stop! I can't take any more!

How about...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


A little foot! Look how cute that little foot is!


And guess what? He is such a good boy. He even helps my hubby. Look, here he is helping to put some metal sheeting on the outside of the stall.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Oh.


You thought I meant a human baby.



HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!



What, are you nuts?



Ok, ok. I'm teasing. I know I misled you all. I'm bad like that.



So, anyway, now WE HAVE A HORSE!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

I've only waited for this for, what, 30 some years. And, truth be told, it is really my hubby's doing. I was all "We're not ready for a horse" because, um, we weren't. And he was all "We'll never be ready so let's just get it."

And, whaddaya know, we did. I gotta hand it to him, he pulled it together. Well, I helped too but you know what I mean.


And!

Take a look at this stall and little corral.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

See it?


Look again.


See it?


Ok, you're not too impressed. But! It was made with stuff that we salvaged off our own property. It DIDN'T COST ONE CENT!

How about that? Impressed now?

Although, I'm not too sure what, exactly, that might say about us...


Anyway, the lack of cost of the stall and corral was somewhat balanced by the cost of the electic fence.




What.



Yes, I know there is no electric fence in the picture.


I don't want to talk about it.



Oh fine.

When I called the horse delivery guy - THE NIGHT BEFORE THE HORSE WAS TO ARRIVE - to go over all the details, I said "Can I ask your advice on something?"
HDG: Sure, what's up?
Me: Um...electric fe-
HDG: Won't hold him.
Me: ...
HDG: You there?
Me: Yeah, uh...
HDG: They have to be trained for electric fence. He's too young. Doesn't know what it is yet. You have a spot with a wood fence, right?
Me (lying through my teeth): Uh, yeah. Sure.


And so, at about 5 pm, we had to salvage more wood and build the corral. (Reminder to self - buy lots of wine and beer for hubby's brother and friend for helping.) It was pretty much done by 1 am and, wouldn't you know, there was a glitch on the HDG's end and it wasn't until the day after that the horse showed up.


But, in the end, it all worked out.

Just like my hubby said it would.


He's so freaking smart sometimes.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Congrats on your new baby! Bob and I cannot wait to meet Dozer. Very impressed with the handy work and the cost as well. A new addition to the ever growing family..so exciting.

steph said...

that is hilarious! i was thinking you would have big news like nancy and ernie! LOVE that is a horse -- very cute nose!!

josetteplank.com said...

He's ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to meet him!

How many diapers do you need and in what size?

anne said...

Thank you everyone for the congrats and stuff. Please stop by any time to meet him. He's very sweet and loves to be scratched on the head.

Sis - regarding the diapers - I need about a ton of one-size-fits all sawdust super absorbant. Make that several tons.

Anonymous said...

Cool!

My cousint in Maizeville has a horse. It's named Billy. Billy the horse. "Where do you keep him", I asked. "In the house across the street", he said. (That would be the Frackville side.)

Total hillbilly move, true?

My brother was at the house this week and told me a story about a guy he knew who was a caretaker for Jack Palance (RIP). Jack was in Hollywood working, and the caretaker had his buddies over and they got drunk and trashed the place and rode Jack's horses into Hazleton. Got stopped by the cops. Employment terminated.

nadzent said...

And I missed the shower? I never even got to see you while you were expecting - geesh!

Not to worry, we have plenty of disposable (used) diapers that I am sure could be put through a shredder and repurposed as stall lining. And we will give it to you free of charge!

I also have two little men who will surely be excited to know that their cousint has a horsey - and such a CUTE one at that.

I have always wanted a horse.

If your cousint has it his way we will be moving to the farm with the boys, putting up a new house, buying some live stock of our own and birthing three more human children in the next several years. This comes straight from the horses mouth (ha, ha), regardless of recent reports from the frontlines these past three months. It seems the war has taken a turn and things are beginning to have a shadow of fun to them, a shadow mind you.

CONGRATULATIONS!

PS - you should TOTALLY start a blog for Dozer. I am sure an account of his day-to-day would be hysterical!

anne said...

tony-
You know, I briefly thought of putting the horse in the house- an dmoving into the stall. Because the roof leaks less.
And kind of along the Jack P story, there used to be a guy in Frackville who had two horses. He would ride one to Stetz's bar in Morea and drink all night and then the horse would bring him home. Something to aspire to.

Nancy-
I'm glad you didn't see me when I was expecting - I was HUGE! I briefly considered a blog for him but I can't even keep up with my own on a regular basis. Plus I feel that, in time, I will be able to teach him to type. But! I will tell one really cute thing. When I go out in the morning I say "Good Moooorrrrrning, Dozer" and he says "Neeeiiiiiigggghhhh!" It's way too cute.
Also, I'm glad to hear things are calming down on the front lines. And, I'm sorry, did you just say 3 MORE??????!!!!!!! Not all at once I hope. Wink, wink.