Monday, March 24, 2008

God Damn, America!

I'm not big on political debates. My politics fall into the same category as my religion in that it's what I believe, I don't care if you agree, and I'm not going to debate it. If you don't happen to agree with me you can just go right on ahead being wrong.

Hee.

Anyway, I try to avoid politics like the plague when it comes to my blog. It's just how I am.

Having said that, I have to comment on the recent goings on with Obama and his pastor. And my comment is this...

Mr. Obabma... Barack ... I am disappointed in you.

When given the opportunity to comment on your former pastor's 9/11 speech, you blew it.

He's "like and old uncle who says things I don't always agree with."

Fair enough.

But you don't agree that the US was being the bully on the playground? Or do you just not have the moxie to say that you do?

This was a perfect opportunity to bring it all to the forefront. Drag America's dirty laundry out into the spotlight and say "God damn, America. What the hell is up with you? Why are you buying big, expensive homes when you can't even pay your credit card bill? Why are you bitchin' about the price of gas when you drive a pig? How can you have the nerve to cry about the 4,000th soldier to die in Iraq when YOU CAN'T EVEN CONTEMPLATE THE THOUGHT OF CUTTING BACK A BIT ON YOUR CONTINUOUS CONSUMPTION???!!! God damn, America. Wake the hell up already."

But it didn't happen. Because I guess that kind of talk doesn't win the primary. Or the election. Or anything, really, but dirty looks.

So, there it is. To me, Obama has become the not-Republican, the guy who I suppose I will vote for if he is the one to come out of the primary the winner. But I won't be thrilled about it.

Of course, this all comes on the heels of my recent viewing of "Who Killed The Electric Car?" So I'm all kinds of fired up to begin with.

8 comments:

Blog Antagonist said...

I agree. I was really liking him for a while, but now....meh. I think once again, my vote will come down to the lesser of two evils, instead of voting for someone I really want to see in office. I wonder if that will ever happen?

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great point. I'm a big Obama supporter and I wasn't quite sure how to handle the recent noise. But you make an excellent point: He's not bad for not completely disowning someone that would say that about America, he's bad for not OWNING it and spinning it to his advantage!

Anne, you should handle his PR. ;-)

Signed,
Still can't stand Hillary

Karen Jensen said...

Great point. I rather agree with much of what Obama's pastor said, too.

josetteplank.com said...

I'm voting for Professor J.

Mike Golch said...

what if no one voted for any candidate what so ever?? Than what happens?? I really donot trust the choises being given to us by either party.

Sojourner said...

Brava Anne!

steph said...

i know, i hear you. but i still do love barak. and i still can't stand hillary, either, pocklock!! and i agree with the pastor, but i guess barak had to placate the masses a little bit. not that i'm one for placating, but he would be the best president, i think, and would act in a way to make our country a better place, so i feel like he did need to reach out to the people that were offended by the pastor.

Anonymous said...

Living in America and daring to give voice to the idea that we don't live up to our own press has become tantamount to giving aid to the enemy. It means pointing out that the emperor has no clothes and then getting "killed" for simply being the messenger. We can blame Obama for not having more guts, but I'm not sure any candidate who is trying to win votes would jump on the same train as his pastor. It's easy for us to say it should be done, because we're not running for office. My middle son's girlfriend played in a volleyball tournament recently and there were some high school seniors who were telling her that it was a BIBLICAL TRUTH that Barack Obama was the Anti-Christ. I'm telling ya...there's nothing quite like Southern fundamentalist ignorance to take a political discussion straight to the third rail. Anyway...