Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Are we rolling yet?

Hi and welcome.

So this is my blog.

I still don't even know where the term "blog" came from or what it exactly means (I can at least guess "log" of some sort) and, truth be told, do not have the ambition to find out. Yes, yes, I realize it would only take a click of the button to set the World Wide Web in motion, chugging and churning in order to deliver 64,790 possible web sites for me to visit and quench my thirst for this droplet of knowledge. I guess I'm just not thirsty enough yet.

And there it is. This thing about me. My blissful ignorance.

Sometimes I feel kind of bad about it. I mean, I do hang out with a rather clever group of people - if I do say so myself - so I often find myself mentally adrift during a conversation. For example, my husband is currently reading a book about the superstring theory of particle physics. Now, imagine if you will, our dinner conversation.

Me: How's that book you're reading?
Him: It's really interesting. You should read it.
Me: Really? What's it about?
Him: Superstring theory. It's amazing. This theory hypothecates that there are actually eleven dimensions, possibly more, through which strings of particles vibrate. What they think is...
Me: Could you please pass the applesauce?
Him: What?
Me: The applesauce. Why eleven dimensions? Why not thirty seven?
Him: What?
Me: How do they know it's eleven?
Him: Well, in the book they explain. I mean, it's a theory...
Me: I'm sure they will eventually find out it's really thirty seven dimensions.

And so on.

Ok, so he wouldn't actually say hypothecates but you get the drift.

So there is the beginning of my blog. The blog I do not, nor do I pretend to understand. I don't expect you to either.

Welcome.

No comments: