Tuesday, February 19, 2008

So Many Things to Write About, So Little...

...I don't know. Desire?

No, that's not it. I want to write a blog post. It's just...

THERE'S SO MUCH OTHER STUFF TO DO!

I feel like I am spinning my wheels because I can't seem to get anything accomplished. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

And it's tax time.

shudder


But enough of that.


So, my sister is famous! How about that? Ain't she somethin'? All featured in the newspaper and all...

And she mentioned me. Woot!

But most of you probably know that already since I think most of you read her blog as well. But if you don't, you should. Do it.

Let's see... What else?

Oh, I spent a lovely day at the main campus of Penn State University with my sister-in-law. We were attending - get this - an all day workshop on small ruminants. That would be sheep and goats for the non-ruminant-familiar folks.

And, I have to say, I learned quite a bit. I was a little scared going because I am, after all, a greenhorn in the goat business. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were folks who were even dumber than me! I mean ... um ...

Really though, it was not only good to find out how much I didn't know, but it was nice to find out that I did know some stuff after all.

The conference was organized by the Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture, of which I am a proud member. The conference was actually several days long and consisted of many, many workshops. Unfortunately, finances dictated that I could only attend the one day. But! Next year I am hoping to go for a couple of days. They have workshops on everything from beekeeping to methane digesters to cooking bio-diesel to growing your own veggies. So many things! So, next year I am there!

And speaking of goats, they are all doing fine and dandy. The little ones are getting really big now. I keep meaning to get some more pictures and post them (because I know you are all just about dying to see them) but I keep forgetting. Maybe tomorrow.

And speaking of Penn State University, I have a bit of a call to action if you are interested. I got an email today that informed me that the Pasture Systems and Watershed Management Research Unit located at PSU's main campus is one of 11 research labs slated to be closed due to federal budget reductions. I am going to quote the email here ...

... This facility does research that benefits all the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic States., such as improving grazing practices for dairy cows, and reducing pollution into Chesapeake Bay. Their work is practical in nature; they work not only in the lab, but right with farmers in the field. In the last 10 years, they've received many awards for their scientific work and published over 600 scientific papers.

The lab's goals include.... (1) Identifying grazing management strategies that optimize the utilization of mixed-species pastures and reduce input costs for pasture-based producers. (2) Developing profitable farm production systems that reduce nutrient losses to ground and surface waters and gaseous emissions to the atmosphere. (3) Determining optimal management and environmental benefits of bioenergy cropping systems to reduce production costs and increase yields.


So if any of that means anything to you, send a note to your Representatives and Senators and say "Hey! No!" Because it affects you. Or someone you know.

And speaking more of goats and school and stuff, I am taking an on-line course about raising goats.

No. Really. I am.

What a world we live in.


In other exciting news...

My dear little babygirl was accepted to Arcadia University. With a nice academic scholarship to boot. Woo hoo! She so takes after me.

Hee.

But really, we are at least ten kinds of proud.


What else, what else...

I suppose you are all eagerly waiting to find out how the meditation is working for me.

Me too.

When I get around to doing it again I'll let you all know.

Hopefully my meditation will lead me to enlightenment on what to do about my cats.

I have spent like $250 on cats at the vet in the past two weeks. One cat has swollen feet. Swollen feet! At first I only noticed it was one foot and I thought it would be something easy like extracting a nail out of his toe or something, but no. No, this cat has some sort of auto-immune disease that causes his feet to swell. So now he's on steroids.

I'm hoping the Yankees will pick him up in the next draft.

And the other cat is in kidney failure. This cat is probably the most personable of all the cats even though he is pure evil. So now I have to feed him special cat-with-kidney-failure food which is probably going to cost more than the food we eat.

Sigh.

What are ya gonna do?

Although, I am hoping to get a copy of Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. It's supposed to have some homeopathic ways to help with the kidney thing.


I'm sorry it's a whole lot of jibber-jabber with no rhyme or reason. I can't seem to stick to one coherent thought for more that 2 minutes these days. My brain is like "Goats! Horses! Real estate! Taxes! FAFSA! Dogs! Cat medicine! The other cat medicine! Hay! Groceries! Pay the bills! AHHHHHHHHH!"

So I'm going to call it a post and go do my goat homework.

DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE PSU LAB!!!

7 comments:

josetteplank.com said...

uh oh...I hope one of those sick cats isn't a cat that I sent you. Because, if so, puhleeze! send me the bill!

And congrats to Daughter on the acceptance and the scholarship! Although, I must say, they'd be fools to not do everything in their power to get her at that school. She's a keeper!

I'll send out emails this morning to my favorite representatives to bug. They so enjoy hearing from me first thing in the day.

Later, Goat Lady!

Karen Jensen said...

Goat homework. It's a brave new world.

And Big congratulations to your daughter!!!

anne said...

sis,

No it's not your cat. It's Victor with the big feet and Fred with kidneys-on-strike. Your cat keeps a relatively low profile except for those times when she is Crazy Cat.

josetteplank.com said...

Well, do let me know if she needs tending to. You did me a solid for taking her when I was a crazy, anxious pregnant lady. I don't want to leave you with a bum cat.

Blog Antagonist said...

Last year we spent $1200 on a mauled cat. The year before I spent probably twice that on a cat who needed weekly steroid shots for tracheamalacia (she eventually had to be put down). I would blame it on my kids, but the fact is, I loved them both too.

Congrats on the daughter! And good luck on the goat class.

nadzent said...

Wow. Talk about busy. Phew! Made me tired just reading about it all.

Congratulations on the school and the scholarship!!! How exciting!

Yes- we are waiting for updates goat photos...

And Sister is famous...I knew it was only a matter of time.

Anonymous said...

Money for the wives of the fat-cat politicians who manage PHEAA to go to the spa, but no money for watershed management. PA is so screwed up.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_497782.html