Friday, November 23, 2007

Friday! Friday! I'm Very Full of Pumpkin Pieday!

Good evening. I trust you all had a splendid holdiay.

Me? Oh mine was just fine, thank you. Dinner was deeelish. Then we relaxed and watched a bunch of episodes of this ... I guess new show called "The Big Bang".

If you haven't seen it, it's actually pretty funny. It's the first sit-com I've seen in a long time that had some interesting humor. It mentions things like String Theory and Quantum Mechanics and our friend, Archimedes. The jist is that there are these two extremely intelligent lads - physicists - that share an apartment. The other lead characters are their two equally geeky and intelligent pals and the bomb-shell next door who also happens to be the unrequitd love interest of one of the lead geeks.

In all actuality, it is the first show I've seen in a long time period. Because, you know, the whole not having TV and all that.

But, I really enjoyed this one. I think because it really hits home for me. What with being married into the family that I am and all that.

Here's a for instance. Today I came home from work and I was about to get changed so I could go feed the animals. I heard someone clomping around downstairs and thought it might be hubby home from Black Friday shopping. (True! I sent him out to buy two of the down comfoters that were on sale for super cheap. Alas, no deal. They were all sold out.) I leaned over the upstairs banister and hollered "Haloo..?" The responding "Hello" told me that it was not, in fact, my hubby but one of his many brothers.

So I went downstairs to chat with him a bit and learned that he was having problems with some piping on his well pump and stopped by to see if we might have a piece of 1 1/2" black plastic pipe. Because, you never know. We just might and probably do.

See how easily I explained that to you?


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


That's not how easily it was explained to me. I got the version with the pressure this and whatever valve that and, I'm sorry, but I'm really not a plumber and understanding all of this but I'm pretty sure I know what black plastic pipe looks like and I might be able to help you even though I don't really understand.

I'd be good at Lowes.

"No, I have no idea what you use it for but it's in aisle 14."

Or...

"I don't know if this is going to solve your problem but it seems to fit the description you gave me."

I'm good at things like that. But, really, my wonderful brother in-law, God love him, talks to me while forgetting that he is not talking to a fellow engineer or one of his brothers. Which is redundant.

On one hand, it's kind of flattering. I am seen as an intellectual equal fully able to comprehend this plumbing-pressure-with-a-leak-twist dilemma. Or whatever other item is the project/problem du jour with the guys in this family.

On the other hand ...

I think they would just talk to anyone like that. Because that's how their minds work. The whole lot of them. They've got those "crazy brains".

Here's another for instance. The whole family - all eight siblings and their assorted spouses and children - got together this summer to take Mother and Father out to dinner for their anniversary. I was coming to the restaurant drectly from work and I arrived just before dinner actually started. As a result of my fashionably (perpetually) late arrival, the only chair available happened to be at the kid table. Which was fine by me because I didn't get to see my nieces and nephew in a while. All through dinner there was quite an animated conversation going on at the adult table. I couldn't really catch what was being discussed but it was being debated enthusiastically.

When dinner was wrapping up and we started to wander back and forth between tables, I worked my way over to the adult table. Upon arriving, I was immediately summoned for my opinion. "A. says that the design of a race car is such that the air flow over the body makes it actually stick to the road..." The ending tone implying What do you make of that nonsense?

To which I replied what any sensible person who made it through high school physics would, "Um...I thought that was gravity."

A round of hearty chuckles at my obviously flip humor.

"No ..." says A. "They would stick to the road even if they were driving upsidedown."

They all look at me again, awaiting my decision of which intellectual camp I would ally my mind with.

"Are we talking Hot Wheels? Because they can go upsidedown in the loop. And they stick to the track. But I don't think it has anything to do with the design of the Hot Wheels per se..."


Silence. And then ...

Another hearty round of chuckles and, hey, more wine!



So, you see, this show speaks to me.



Now, I am supposed to pick a Geek of the Week. And I am happy to report that, again, no one has bothered me much this week. So, I am going to deviate from the usual plan and pick an actual Geek of the Week - with geek being the more traditional definition. And, not only am I going to pick one Geek of the Week, I am going to pick several.

Drum roll please ...


Geek(s) of the Week is/are ...

My hubby and his bros.




Although, I have to admit, I almost bought a t-shirt this week that said "There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't."

AaaaaaaaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

It kills me every time!



So I guess we're made for each other.



This Post was brought to you by NaBloPoMo and Perrier.

1 comment:

D.B. Echo said...

Whoa. Are those Feynman diagrams? Maybe this is worth a watch...